Thursday, February 3, 2011

Split Pea Soup


Ingredients: 
4 - 6 slices of bacon
1 large onion
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
4 clovers garlic
1 (16oz) bag of dried split peas (remember to wash the peas.)
8 cups chicken broth. (I did not have this so i used 8 chicken bullion cubs.)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp dried rosemary
salt  and pepper to taste.

1. Wash peas and set aside.

2. Place bacon in a large pot, and cook over medium heat until crisp. 

3. Stir in onion, leek, carrot, and garlic; cook until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes

4. Pour in chicken broth. 

5. Stir in slit peas, bay leaves, and rosemary 

6.Bring to a boil and then turn reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer until peas are soft, about an hour, stirring occasionally.


* I had to add about 4-6 cups of water, cause the chicken broth disappeared! I think my problem was I left it cooking on high too long. I was kinda of worried it would be change the taste, but it turned out fine. So, if you have to add water don't panic! ;)

No comments: