Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Our Courtship story

Before you start reading, please excuse all of the grammar and spelling mistakes! :)
In the year of 2005 our family switched Churches to a family integrated church called Trinity Baptiste. At first it was a big change for our family. We went from a whole orchestra and contemporary Christians music church, to a piano and hymns Church. Soon we all loved the Church maybe not for the music;), but for the teaching and for the many friends we made. One family in particular sticks out to me, the Taylor family. There were 5 kids, two girls and three boys. They all looked very much alike and had beautiful smiles! It took around a years before we really started to get to know this family. My Parents knew the Taylor family long before us kids were born, but had lost contact over the years.  My first memory of being with the Taylor family was a Sunday afternoon when my sister and I were invited to go to a piano concert with their daughters at Cheery Hill.  My sister and I thought it would be great fun and agreed to come along. So after eating lunch at Church, we climbed into their car and started for their house were we would stay for a couple hours, until time for the concert. When we got to there house it was a MESS! They said they were sorry, and that they had no idea they would be bringing people home form Church. In the girls and boy's bed rooms all the drawers to their dresser were opened and clothes were everywhere!(Our house looked the same way, who's doesn't on a Sunday morning when your rushing to get ready fro Church.) After having a tour of their house we went into the living room and all sat down and talked. In the middle of talking, this 18 year old guy walked in and looked at my sister and I with the most beautiful blue eyes ever and apologized for having his room so messy and for not making his bed! His name was Samuel Joseph Taylor.  When my sister and I got home, we had a good laugh about this guy apologizing for having his room messy. Although, I thought it was funny, I also thought it was one of the sweetest things.
Fast-forward to 2008
   In the summer of 2008, we found out my grandparents(age83-86)  were coming to live with us. We decided to add a couples rooms on to our house for them. My brother said he could do the building, but invited all of the young men in our Church to come help. You remember Samuel, the guy with the beautiful blue eyes who apologized for having his room messy,  well.....he offered to come help my brother.*We found out later that the reason he wanted to help was to see me.* So for the whole summer of 2008 we practically had  Samuel came over to help everyone day. That started our wonderful friendship with the Taylor family. We because close to all the Taylor's that summer, but especially to Samuel, he became another brother to all of us. Once the addition to our house was done, we continued to get to know the Taylor family better, in fact our families were inseparable! I got to know Sam's little sister Abigail really well and we would call each other almost every night and talked about everything! The Taylor family spent so much time at our house that they became our adopted family.  Our families went to dances, movies, parties, and concerts together! Like I said, they were our adopted family.
Having Sam around our house almost all the time, made me see some qualities I wanted in my future husband. In fact being around him so much made me really start admiring him. In fact for almost two years I struggled with admiring him a little too much. I prayed about it...I prayed for his future wife....I prayed for him...for my future husband. I called out to God during these two years, but my admiration just grew for him.  In the fall of 2009, we started chatting on the computer. *My Mom read all of our chats and many times we would do group chats with his sister and little brother.*  As the months went by we started chatting longer then normal. There were times when we would talk for two or three hours. I really got to know him during this time. He was one of my best friends and I truly admired him! I knew that he admired me too, but wondered many times if his feelings went deeper then that.
Finally, In December of 2009 I decided to put some space between us.  My parents came to me a lot during this time and asked me quit a few times why I had put space between Sam and I, I did not have any answer for them. I was very confused, I knew I was slowly falling for Sam and I knew Sam really admired me.  I knew IF he wanted a relationship with me, he would come to my Dad, and of course my Dad would tell me! What I did not know was that way back in December of 2008 he had sat down and talked to my Dad. Since I was just 15 years old at the time, my Dad had told him that I would not be able to start any courtship until I was 17. If Samuel still had feelings for me then, that's when I would be told.
  On January 15, my parents ask if they could talk with me.  My parents did a lot of talking for several minuets, until my Dad dropped the bomb and asked why in the world I was treating Sam this way. At this point I was sobbing, and answered could not answer.  My Dad went on to say that Sam wanted to court me and had for at the last year!! I sat there in total shock and started crying harder....it was a dream come true!  My Parents said I had time to think and pray about it and get back to them. Since I was in total shock I said OK, if it had not been such a shock I would have said yes right then!;) After we finished talking I got on the computer and talked to his sister for a long time. That night I remember laying in my bed saying over and over again he likes me, he likes me... how in the world can he like me?? ;)
Saturday, January 16, I had decided what my answer was, so at 12:25 I called him and said YES! OK, it was a very nervous yes....;) In fact I has so nervous and quiet that I had to repeat my yes about  3 times until he understood what I was saying.  God had answered both of our prayers!
One year and seven months later on August 6th at Cherry Hill in Warreton Sam got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. And of course I said Yes!:)
Nine months later in front of 250 of our friends and family we said our wedding vows and I became the wife to my very best friend! 

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Aww! Thanks for sharing!

Butler Family Member said...

I loved reading your courtship story, Anna! Thank you for sharing it with us. :)
~Kelsey